- Avoid lists of links, instead try to incorporate them into paragraph text. This gives them more meaning and puts them into the context of how they may be useful. People are unlikely to scroll through lists of links looking for what they want and search engines will mark you down if you have links pages.
- To create a link in a body of text, highlight the text that you want to be a link and click the chain symbol at the top of the text panel.
- You can either paste in a link straight away if you know it or select the cog for more link options:
- Here you can search for pages within your site.
- If you are linking to an outside web source you must put the whole URL in including the http://
- Use meaningful links –Avoid labelling links as ‘here’ or ‘click here’ as out of the context of the page they don’t tell the user anything about where they’ll lead them.WHY: links need to make sense even if they stand alone, as many assistive technology users will short-cut to a list of links on a page as a way of getting a quick impression of what content is available on that page. Making links look consistent follows standard conventions for navigation and will make the site as usable and accessible as possible, as users will know what to expect as they explore the site. This is also beneficial in terms of search engine results as they tend to look for links when searching.
- Pasting the original url into the site can look ugly, instead highlight some descriptive text and insert the link by clicking the chain symbol. This is also best for SEO as Google reads all the links in the site.
- Do not tick the box for the link to open in a new window. This is very bad for accessibility as it can disorientate the user
- Avoid using directions when highlighting a link e.g. ‘Click the link on the right hand side of the page’ It may be on the right hand side when you are editing the site but won’t necessarily be every time as there are different layouts for different screen sizes and devices.
- To add a yellow button to a link e.g.:
Select the “Text” tab next to the “Visual” tab
Look for the link in the code and insert “class=”button yellow-bg”
The link would look like this: